The Environment Minister says questions need to be asked of the owner of a recycling pit which has been burning near Christchurch for about six weeks.
The Owaka Pit spontaneously combusted and was left to burn itself out because it was considered too dangerous for fire crews to enter.
Environment Minister, Amy Adams, says despite residents' concerns, she has been advised by health officials that the smoke and fumes carry minimal risk.
But Mrs Adams, who is also the local MP, says aspects of the pit did not comply with its Resource Consent.
The regional council says the owner has done everything requested to try to put out the fire.
The fire has now collapsed in on itself making it safer to deal with, but it will still take about two weeks to extinguish.