A Wellington man has pleaded guilty to making intimate, hidden recordings of women in public as well as inside the homes of people he knew.
The 36-year-old man, who is a former Department of Internal Affairs employee, appeared in the Wellington District Court on Friday and was remanded on bail to reappear in the High Court next month.
He was discovered after a security guard noticed him attempting to covertly film while in a Wellington store.
The police were called and a further investigation found data storage devices with 1400 recordings dating back to February 2012.
Ninety-four of the 98 videos they sampled contained covert filming of about 180 women and the police say there is no evidence the files have been passed on.
All of the man's videos and equipment have been seized by police.
Meanwhile, an Internal Affairs spokesperson says an employment investigation began after the man was charged by police earlier this year but he has since resigned.
She says no Internal Affairs staff have been found in the videos while the man's work computer was clean.