14 Oct 2009

Student out of hospital after inhaling toxic fumes

4:44 pm on 14 October 2009

An Auckland student injured in a science experiment when he inhaled toxic fumes has been released from hospital.

The 15-year-old boy from Immanuel Christian School in Avondale was taken to hospital after he inhaled chlorine gas about 11.30am on Wednesday.

School principal Diane Walters says the incident was not serious and only happened because the boy leaned over and inhaled too much of the fumes, making it difficult for him to breathe.

Ms Walters says the school will review its safety procedures but the teacher was operating under safety protocols.