A plan to determine where future housing, businesses and infrastructure should be in Canterbury over the next 15 years will be sent to Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee on Friday.
The Canterbury regional council began drafting the land use recovery plan in November last year, with help from the Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority, district councils and Maori iwi Ngai Tahu. Some 450 public submissions were received.
Commissioner Peter Skelton said where people live, work and play in Christchurch has changed dramatically since the quakes in 2010 and 2011 and the plan will give certainty over where new developments should be based.
Mr Skelton said the plan provides for at least 40,000 new sections in existing under-developed suburbs and in new subdivisions.
Gerry Brownlee is expected to sign off the plan in September this year.