The defence for a man accused of bashing a security guard to death with a wooden post says he didn't murder him and is only on trial because he's been blamed by the others he was with.
The jury in the High Court at Auckland must decide if the 27-year-old accused, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is guilty of murdering Charanpreet Dhaliwal in November 2011.
Mr Dhaliwal was found dead in a pool of blood by co-workers. It had been his first day on the job.
The Crown made its closing address to jurors on Tuesday, saying the accused was a liar and jurors could not believe a word he said.
It said Mr Dhaliwal was hit around the head after confronting the man and three others at a Henderson construction site.
Lawyers for the accused said one of the other men he was with caused the fatal blows.
In her closing address, Lorraine Smith said the accused had never seriously hurt anyone and he could not be convicted if there was a reasonable possibility someone else committed the crime.
The Crown said it had no interest in the wrong person being convicted and the right man was in the dock.