A Central Otago man who admitted a minor sexual offence has gone to the Court of Appeal in a bid to have his conviction overturned.
He is also fighting to keep his identity a secret.
The man initially appeared in Alexandra District Court last year on a charge of indecent assault but later pleaded guilty to a lesser charge in Dunedin District Court.
His lawyer told the Court of Appeal on Tuesday the man had entered his guilty plea because the Crown had indicated it would agree to a discharge without conviction but that did not eventuate.
He said the man might have made a pass at the complainant but a defence would be available to any criminal charge laid in respect of his actions.