12 Oct 2013

Mark Lundy granted bail

9:01 am on 12 October 2013

Bail has been granted to Mark Lundy, who is facing a retrial on charges of murdering his wife, Christine, and daughter, Amber, in August 2000.

He was released from Rangipo Prison near Turangi on Friday, leaving in a prison van with tinted windows and evading a media scrum outside, and was being reunited with members of his family.

Mr Lundy was granted bail at the High Court in Wellington on Friday after his convictions were quashed by the Privy Council.

Justice Ron Young bailed Mr Lundy to reside at a specified address, details of which have been suppressed, until his trial takes place

He also ordered Mr Lundy not to have any contact with witnesses or others who gave evidence at his previous trial and to report to police once a week.

Mark Lundy's lawyer, Felix Geiringer, outside the High Court in Wellington.

Mark Lundy's lawyer, Felix Geiringer, outside the High Court in Wellington. Photo: RNZ

A callover for the case will take place in November at a venue which is to be named. About 30 people were in the public gallery for the bail application.

On Monday, the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council in London quashed Mr Lundy's convictions for the murder of his wife Christine, 38, and their seven year old daughter Amber in their Palmerston North home and said he should be retried.

Speculation over retrial outcome wrong - lawyer

Speaking outside court, Mr Lundy's lawyer, Felix Geiringer said he would not be commenting on what might happen in the weeks ahead.

He said some of the public discussion about Mr Lundy has been unfair.

"The judge has got a very good point. There have been a lot of things that have been said that clearly shouldn't be said. A lot of speculation for example about what the results of a re-trial should be. And that sort of stuff is just utterly inappropriate."

Mark Lundy's nephew Steven Jones outside court.

Mark Lundy's nephew Steven Jones outside court. Photo: RNZ

Mark Lundy's nephew Steven Jones said he was delighted his uncle was to be released from prison.

"Over the moon, it's been a long time coming in my eyes, so yeah, we've been waiting for this for the last 12 and a half years."

Mr Jones said he had kept in regular touch with Mr Lundy during his time in prison.

Although the Privy Council called for a fresh trial to be held as soon as possible, that is unlikely to take place this year.