The head of the Council of Trade Unions is urging Police Minister Anne Tolley to consider asking Police Commissioner Peter Marshall to step down from his role early.
Last week police confirmed four complaints had been made against a group of teenaged boys, who boasted online about sex with drunken girls, some of them underage.
On Sunday, Mr Marshall told the Q+A programme on TVNZ that there have been three complaints, but police need solid evidence to prosecute.
CTU president Helen Kelly said Mr Marshall has revealed attitudes that would be likely to deter victims of the group from coming forward.
Mr Marshall's contract is due to expire in five months and Ms Kelly says the minister should consider if it's time for him to step down now.
In response the minister has reiterated that she has confidence in the Commissioner and the police.
Mrs Tolley also points out an Independent Police Conduct Authority investigation into the case is already underway.
Meanwhile, the police have confirmed they have spoken to members of the Roastbusters group about their safety.
Commissioner disappointed by comments on child rape
Police Commissioner Peter Marshall says he is disappointed with a comment made by one of his top officers about the rape of a 10-year-old girl.
In a letter to the rapist's wife, Superindendent Russell Gibson, commander of the Central district, referred to the child as a willing participant,
Police Minister Anne Tolley has described Mr Gibson's comment as appalling.
Mr Marshall told the Q+A programme on TVNZ that the comments are now the subject of an intense review by an independent solicitor.
He said he's known Superindendent Gibson for a long time and he can't explain why he said such a thing, and Mr Gibson can't explain it either.