The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment has confirmed it is taking legal action against a forestry company over one of the deaths in the forestry industry this year.
Two forestry workers were killed on the job last week in Nelson and the central North Island, bringing the number of deaths this year to nine.
While confirming the prosecution relates to one of the deaths, the ministry said it would not be making any further comment as it is before the courts.
Labour Minister Simon Bridges said on Tuesday that further prosecutions are likely.
Mr Bridges said other investigations are underway, with 14 logging businesses having been shut down because of imminent danger of serious harm or death.
The minister said company directors could face up to two years in jail if they are found to have acted recklessly. However, he said in a law change he intends to make next year that would increase to five years.