8 Jan 2014

Hostel evacuated after shop fire

10:18 am on 8 January 2014

Occupants of a backpackers hostel in Blenheim were turned out onto the street when a neighbouring dairy caught fire.

A passing motorist raised the alarm about 5am on Wednesday after seeing smoke and flames coming from the rear of the dairy in Budge Street. The shop was extensively damaged.

Investigators say the fire appears to have started in a storeroom near the back of the building but they're confident no one was inside at the time.

The hostel was evacuated as a safety precaution.

Police do not believe the fire was suspicious but would still like to talk to anyone who was in the Budge Street area at the time.