Three years after agreeing to establish a forum on alcohol advertising, the Government has set one up.
It has appointed the former rugby league coach and businessman Graham Lowe to chair the forum, which will consider whether there should be further restrictions on the marketing of alcohol.
Justice Minister Judith Collins said the Ministerial Forum on Alcohol Advertising and Sponsorship will gather evidence and expert advice on the effectiveness of possible advertising or sponsorship controls.
Others forum members include an addiction expert, Professor Max Abbott, and the chief executive of the Advertising Standards Authority, Hilary Souter.
Public submissions will be called for and the Forum will report back to the Government later in the year.
Full membership of the Forum on Alcohol Advertising and Sponsorship:
- Graham Lowe, chairperson.
- Sandra Alofivae, a lawyer and district health board member who works in the Auckland Alcohol and Drug Pilot Court.
- Dr Farah Palmer, an academic and former Black Ferns' captain, who is currently a director on the NZRU Maori Rugby Board.
- Tuari Potiki, director of Maori Development at the University of Otago and the current chair of the NZ Drug Foundation.
- Professor Max Abbott, an expert in the field of addiction and alcohol-related harm.
- Hilary Souter, chief executive since 2005 of the Advertising Standards Authority.