Two couples pursued by Kapiti Coast District Council for cutting down native trees on their properties say they are relieved the ordeal is over.
On Wednesday a judge said the charges against Keith and Lorraine McLeavey, who are 72 and 68 respectively, as trivial.
Mr and Mrs McLeavey pleaded guilty to cutting down trees but were discharged without conviction.
The council then called off its case against Monkeyman Tree Services that did the felling because it would cost too much.
Mr McLeavey said she too is disappointed with the Kapiti council's tactics but is relieved life can get back to normal.
Last year, the council withdrew similar charges against the McLeavey's neighbours, Peter and Diana Standen.
Mr Standen says the cases wasted ratepayer's money.