Mothballs are being banned from sale in New Zealand because of concern about the risk of poisoning to children.
Retailers have been told to remove mothballs from their shelves and the public is being asked to return them to the retailer or dispose of them in the rubbish.
No child has died from eating mothballs, but a small number of children have been hospitalised after doing so. The Ministry of Health says ingesting the mothballs could be fatal.
Mothballs are banned in Europe, and are available in Australia only in a form that prevents them being eaten. However, that product is not available in New Zealand.