A Dunedin high school expects to know by the end of the day how a suspicious fire started in a bathroom at the school.
Four teachers and two students from Logan Park High School had to be treated after inhaling smoke from a burning paper dispenser in a girls' toilet about 9am today.
The affected staff and students had all recovered by this afternoon.
Police are investigating the fire and principal Jane Johnson said the school would also look into the "serious' incident.
"Anybody who had made and unsafe environment for the rest of the school is certainly my concern,"
Ms Johnson said.
She said the school's disciplinary actions will depend on the individual circumstances once known.