A woman who suffered serious burns in a Whanganui house fire died in hospital this evening.
Another woman, who was also rescued by firefighters from the burning property in Castlecliff last night, died in hospital overnight.
Police say the fire does not appear to have been suspicious.
The Fire Service was called to the Castlecliff property about 6pm yesterday and said investigators believe the smoke alarms in the house were not functioning at the time.
Family and friends visiting the elderly should routinely check their alarms and change their batteries, it said.