An indoor bowling hall in Christchurch has been destroyed in an overnight fire.
The fire broke out in the building in Kearneys Road in Linwood about 2am. Several fire appliances and a helicopter were involved in fighting the blaze.
The Fire Service said no one was inside the building at the time of the fire.
President of the Canterbury Indoor Bowls Association David Bullock said the fire ripped through the hall destroying the lounge, kitchen, bar and toilet facilities.
He said the building was in the middle of earthquake repairs which were going well.
Mr Bullock said the builders had invited the Association's 800 members to an open day in the next few weeks to see the progress.
He said he doesn't know what will happen with the hall now.