23 Sep 2014

Stove element behind fire - Fire Service

2:56 pm on 23 September 2014

Initial inquiries into a house fire in Christchurch which claimed the life of a teenage boy suggest a stove element may have been left on, a Fire Service spokesperson says.

The Parklands house where Corey James died.

The Parklands house where Corey James died. Photo: RNZ / Nicola Grigg

Sixteen-year old Corey McLean died in the fire in suburban Parklands almost two weeks ago.

The police say it is likely he was asleep in a back room before the fire started and did not wake up.

Fire Service Senior Fire Risk Management Officer Mark Thomas said initial findings showed it was likely the fire began in the kitchen.

"It looks very much like the Parklands fire will be found to have been an accidental fire, most probably caused by a pot left on a stove in the 'on' position as a result of somebody earlier in the evening cooking."

It appeared the house had smoke alarms, which would have helped the other seven people who were there ti escape, Mr Thomas said.

Get the new RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs