1 Oct 2014

Huffing teen still in hospital

5:31 pm on 1 October 2014

A teenage girl seriously injured in a butane explosion in South Auckland is still in hospital nearly three weeks later.

The Mangere house where three teenagers were badly injured while huffing.

The Mangere house where three teenagers were badly injured while huffing. Photo: RNZ / Kate Newton

The girl and two other teenagers were injured after they lit a cigarette while huffing butane at a Mangere house on 8 September.

Police said the three were hit by a fireball so powerful it blew out windows and set them on fire.

A Middlemore Hospital spokesperson said a boy and girl have been discharged, but the second girl is still in the burns unit and may be allowed to go home later this week.

Police are investigating the incident and have not yet ruled out laying charges.

Get the new RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs