Early-childhood centres are to be warned about the risks of hand sanitiser being swallowed by small children.
A child became intoxicated after ingesting sanitiser at her Invercargill preschool earlier this month.
The Ministry of Education said its investigation of what happened at the Woodhouse Early Learning Centre had found it was most likely the girl ingested the sanitiser there.
She had to be taken to hospital because of alcohol intake.
The ministry said the incident had highlighted the potential danger posed by the high alcohol content of hand sanitiser, and childcare centres around the country would be warned about the risks in the new year.
The ministry's recommendations for the centre investigated included a review of its supervision plan and practice, and more staff awareness when a child's behaviour seemed different.