28 Jul 2008

Candle cause of fatal Meremere fire

6:10 pm on 28 July 2008

Fire safety officers have confirmed that a candle was the cause of a fatal fire in the Waikato township of Meremere.

Larren Nicholas Joseph, 38, died in the blaze early on Sunday morning.

Two other people, including his 12-year-old daughter, were pulled to safety. She is in a stable condition with serious injuries in Auckland's Middlemore Hospital.

Fire safety officer Ray Coleman says the fire started in a bedroom. He says it is still not clear if the house had smoke alarms.