21 Aug 2015

Seven arrests over police manhunt

8:46 am on 21 August 2015

Dolphy Kohu has been remanded in custody until September after being charged with attempted murder.


Dolphy Kohu appears in court Photo: RNZ / Alexander Robertson

The 23-year-old appeared in the Whanganui District Court today on charges of attempted murder, and using a firearm against a police officer, following a huge police manhunt in the central North Island yesterday.

Five others, who have been charged as accessories, sought name suppression but Judge David Cameron refused it.

They are Hereina Paul, who is 22; Hemi Kohu and Melissa Vaka, both 17; and Aroha Kohu, 39.

Carlos Bushell, who is 28, has been charged as an accessory after the fact.


Clockwise from top left: Carlos Bushell, Dolphy Kohu, Hereina Paul, Hemi Kohu Photo: RNZ / Alexander Robertson

Melissa Vaka and Aroha Kohu.

no caption

Judge David Cameron Photo: RNZ / Alexander Robertson

Those five have been remanded on bail, and all six accused will appear in the Whanganui District Court on 9 September.

Seventh arrest today

Police arrested the final person being sought over yesterday's manhunt this afternoon.

Central District Police have confirmed the 24-year-old man who was being sought was arrested at an Ohakune address shortly after midday today.

He has been charged with unlawfully getting into a motor vehicle and being party to using a firearm against a law enforcement officer, and will appear in the Whanganui District Court tomorrow.

Six people, including Dolphy Kohu, were taken into custody yesterday.

Dolphy Kohu, another man and a woman were arrested at 9.20pm yesterday at a road block at the junction of State Highway 1 and State Highway 49. Police said a number of firearms were recovered from the vehicle.

Three other people were arrested earlier that day.

About 2.30am on Wednesday, police began chasing a vehicle near Whanganui. In the hours that followed a police vehicle was rammed, shots were fired at officers and a police car was briefly taken.

Map of central North Island

Police had warned people in the Ohakune, Waiouru and Raetihi region to stay indoors during the manhunt. Photo: Google Maps