A nationwide police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones or other distractions, begins next week.
National manager for road policing, Steve Greally says around 12 percent of serious or fatal crashes last year were caused by driver distraction.
He said the operation will begin on Monday and police would be looking out for drivers who don't have their eyes on the road.
"Using your cellphone while you're driving - well that's one part of it. There's also the other part where people are reading, or they're trying to put on their makeup, or whatever it is they might be doing.
"The point is we want people to have their eyes on the road which is the safe thing to do. So that they can get from A to B in one piece."
Mr Greally said the offending drivers could be charged with careless driving, and risked losing their license or facing a $3000 fine.