The family of a 24-year-old Aucklander who died in Peru earlier this month are still trying to find out how he died.
International media are reporting Matthew Dawson-Clarke died after taking part in a toxin purge that involved drinking hallucinogenic liquid at a resort in the Amazon rainforest.
His body was returned this week and a New Zealand coroner is investigating.
A lawyer representing his family, Jacqueline Lethbridge, said his relatives were distressed and struggling.
They heard second-hand that he died, and have no idea how, other than what has been reported in the media, she said.
"This is a huge tragedy. No family wants to be in a position where they receive, basically, second hand news that their son has passed away," she said.
"They do not know exactly what has caused his death and they want to have those answers."
Matthew Dawson-Clarke's funeral will be held on Friday.