7 Sep 2008

Two deaths likely to be carbon monoxide poisoning

9:33 pm on 7 September 2008

Police believe two men found dead at a camping ground near Raglan died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning from a charcoal cooker.

The men, aged in their thirties, were found dead in their beds in a cabin at the Ruapuke Camping Ground on Sunday morning.

A third man was found alive in a serious condition, and has been transferred to a naval hypobaric centre in Auckland.

Police believe the men died from carbon monoxide poisoning, caused by a charcoal burning barbecue cooker being used in the confined cabin.

Sergeant Brent Wallace, of Huntly Police, says there's no indication the deaths are suspicious, but more that the men died as a result of a tragic oversight.

The matter has now been referred to the coroner and the names of the dead men are expected to be released on Monday.