14 Feb 2016

NZ Gallipoli service to stay

10:36 am on 14 February 2016

The New Zealand-led Anzac Day service at Chunuk Bair at Gallipoli will go ahead, despite Australia axing its ceremony, the government says.

Prime Minister John Key addresses the crowds at Chunuk Bair.

Prime Minister John Key addresses the crowds at Gallipoli last year. Photo: RNZ / Kim Baker Wilson

The Australian government announced late on Friday that from this year, the Australian-led service at Lone Pine will no longer be held.

Its Department of Veterans' Affairs said it decided to end the mid-morning Lone Pine ceremony because of safety concerns, including extreme weather conditions, rough terrain and the exposed location.

The Gallipoli dawn service would still go ahead, the department said.

A spokesman for New Zealand's Veterans' Affairs Minister Craig Foss said the corresponding New Zealand service at Chunuk Bair would be held as planned.

Australians who are at Gallipoli for Anzac Day will be welcome at that ceremony, as they have been in previous years, he said.

Get the new RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs