Transport Minister Steven Joyce says it is too early to tell if a ban on cellphones while driving and impairment tests for drivers suspected of being on drugs have helped lower the road toll.
As of Tuesday, 111 people have died on the roads this year - one more than this time last year.
A cell phone ban and compulsory impairment test for drivers suspected of being under the influence of drugs, were introduced just over five months ago.
Mr Joyce says more time is needed to see whether the new measures are having a positive affect on the toll.
However, the Automobile Association says that while the road toll may not reflect it, the new measures are helping to improve road safety.