The Fire Service has warned people not to drink and fry after a close call involving three people in a holiday home in Wanaka.
Fire crews were called to the bach on Lakeside Road shortly before 3am, to find it full of smoke with three people asleep inside.
Shift commander Andrew Norris said the three had been drinking and forgot about the food they were cooking, falling asleep instead.
He said they were treated for minor smoke inhalation, but it could have been much worse.
"Although the property had working smoke alarms, the occupants were not woken by the alarms due to having a few drinks earlier in the evening," he said.
"Fortunately the alarms are monitored by a private monitoring company who were the people who called 111 to alert us, and as such prevented a possible tragedy."