Auckland's Queens Wharf has been officially opened to the public.
The site will hold a temporary 6000 square metre structure as a party venue for rugby fans for the 2011 Rugby World Cup as well as an information centre and cruise ship terminal.
The Government and the Auckland Regional Council jointly purchased the wharf from Ports of Auckland last year.
ARC chairman Mike Lee says the wharf has been locked off to the public for almost 100 years and Sunday is an historic day for Auckland.
Mr Lee says Queens Wharf is now the people's wharf and what happens with the wharf in the future is up to the people of Auckland.