Dive squad joins search for missing teen

9:30 pm on 27 September 2016

Police are extending their search for missing teenager Lucas Cochrane to fields and waterways in the Coromandel, after he vanished on Saturday night.

At a news conference this afternoon, police said concerns were growing for the 19-year-old and the search was being assessed day-by-day.

"We won't stop looking for Lucas," said Waikato East Area Commander Inspector John Kelly.

"Unfortunately, we do not have any positive leads on where he might be. Without that information we will continue to search the entire township and waterways."

The dive squad had been called to assist with the search, he said.

Lucas Cochrane

Lucas Cochrane Photo: Supplied / Police

"As time goes on obviously our concerns grow for Lucas and we will continue to assess our approach to the search day by day.

"As you would expect, the family of Lucas are upset but we continue to support his relatives during this stressful time."

At this stage there was nothing to indicate foul play, Mr Kelly said.

Mr Cochrane went missing after attending a function at the Whitianga Fire Station, and was last seen just before midnight on Saturday.

Police said his disappearance was completely out of character.

About 80 percent of the township had been searched and the remaining 20 percent was expected to be checked today, with efforts centred on the outskirts of the urban area.

Boats moored in the harbour and in waterways would also be checked.

Mr Cochrane is not from Whitianga and doesn't know the area well.

Police are extending their search for missing teenager Lucas Cochrane to fields and waterways in the Coromandel, after he vanished on Saturday night.

About 30 search personnel, as well as family and friends, are looking for Lucas Cochrane around Whitianga in the Coromandel. Photo: RNZ / Sally Murphy

A search has been under way since Sunday, with about 30 personnel on the ground as well as family and friends.

Surf Life Saving, Coastguard and the Harbourmaster have all been involved

After appealing for information, police had received about a dozen calls and were sifting through the information.

CCTV footage had been checked and recordings were to be examined today.

While there was nothing to suggest Mr Cochrane left Whitianga, police said teams would also search locations along Tapu-Coroglen Road and the 309 Road. Both routes pass over the peninsula.

Police asked locals to check their properties for any sign of Mr Cochrane and said anyone with information about him should call the police on 111.

Whitianga Fire Station

Mr Cochrane went missing after attending a function at the Whitianga Fire Station. Photo: RNZ / Sally Murphy