Three adults and five children were lucky to escape with their lives when their Auckland house went up in flames, the fire service says.
Three fire engines were sent to Awa Street in Otahuhu about 5am, where the house was well ablaze.
A fire service spokesperson said everyone had been accounted for by the time they arrived, and no one was injured.
There were no working smoke alarms in the house, the spokesperson said.
The fire has since been put out, and two specialist fire investigators are looking into what sparked it.