Auckland mayor Phil Goff has confirmed he is setting up a wide-ranging taskforce to tackle the city's housing shortage.
It comes just a day after a proposed multi-sector group, developed by strategist Leonie Freeman, was scrapped due to lack of support from the council or government.
Ms Freeman expressed disappointment that the scrapping meant there was no comprehensive plan in place to tackle Auckland's housing shortage.
Mr Goff said central government representatives would be included in a mix of private and public input, and the taskforce would meet in the New Year to look at what should replace the Auckland Housing Accord.
At the same time that the mayor's office was working on the taskforce idea, RNZ understood the existing council multi-sector group met on Monday - unaware of the new work.
That "Fast Ideas Forum", convened by former deputy mayor Penny Hulse, has included commercial players, developers, government agencies, housing providers and academics.
In a written statement, the mayor's office said Mr Goff was looking at a range of initiatives, and would seek representation from a multitude of public and private organisations, into "mechanisms".
Mr Goff had his first meeting last week with Minister for Building and Housing Nick Smith, but neither would say what was discussed.