Beachgoers stung by jellyfish should ease the pain by using hot water, rather than vinegar or methylated spirits, the National Poisons Centre is advising.
Jellyfish found in New Zealand waters were not as toxic as some found overseas, an adviser from the centre, Yvette Millard, said.
Although countries such as Australia recommend putting vinegar or methylated spirits on a jellyfish sting, that was not the advice here.
Ms Millard said people should submerge the sting in hot water for 15 to 20 minutes, and if that worked, up to two hours.
She said if it was not possible to submerge the affected area, people should put hot compressors on the sting site.