18 Jan 2017

Mt Maunganui ammonia leak cordon reduced

7:03 pm on 18 January 2017

People are being allowed to return to their businesses after an ammonia leak at a cold-storage company in Mt Maunganui this afternoon.

Fire Service shift manager Dallas Ramsey said the leak came from a valve in a refrigeration unit that could not be shut off.

Firefighters remained at the scene of the spill at Real Cool on Mark Road, but the previously wide cordon has shrunk.

Cordons were put up on Hull Road through to Totara Street and Triton Avenue.

Steve Grant works at Homes Industrial Supplies, 200m away from the site of the spill.

He said he had spoken to the police, but his staff have not had to leave the office.

"They came and visited us and told us what was happening and advised us if the ammonia smell became higher than expected to vacate the premises. But as I said, the prevailing conditions are going the other way so we're not getting any effects from that."