A weather blast has hit the country with gales and rain forcing road closures and flight delays. See how the morning unfolded here.
- Flooding and slips closed key highways in the South Island
- Motorists are being told to delay travel to the West Coast and between Picton and Christchurch.
- Flights to and from Wellington were delayed or cancelled
- Winds gusts of 148 km/h were recorded in Wellington overnight and 154 km/h on the Rimutaka Summit.
- In the South Island, wind gusts of 172km/h have been recorded near Mt Hutt
- MetService says the severe weather has eased but southwest gales are expected about coastal Otago and will ease this afternoon