8 Jan 2009

Man burned in gas explosion

9:29 pm on 8 January 2009

A man has been burned in a gas explosion at Port Nelson.

The Fire Service says he was working with an acetylene torch inside a cylinder when the gas ignited.

The 30-year-old man suffered flash burns to his face, upper arms and chest at the engineering company in Vickerman Street.

St John Ambulance officers say he has burns to 18% of his body. He is in Nelson hospital in a comfortable condition.

Occupational Safety & Health is investigating the incident.