17 Apr 2017

Couple in hospital after inhaling gas

2:29 pm on 17 April 2017

A Taranaki farming couple have been taken to hospital after accidentally inhaling a harmful mixture of chemicals.

Close up of a St John ambulance on a residential street.

Photo: RNZ / Claire Eastham-Farrelly

St John ambulance was called to a property on Mangawhero Road, near Riverlea in South Taranaki, just before 8.30am.

A man mixed two chemicals together and inhaled the gas, and his wife also inhaled the gas while trying to help him.

A Taranaki Base Hospital spokesperson said the man was in a serious condition and the woman is in a moderate condition.