Most people evacuated in Hastings because a major gas leak this morning have been allowed back.
Lines company Powerco said a pipe was damaged during maintenance work, forcing the closure of two streets near Hawke's Bay Hospital.
A cordon remains in place, but students and staff at Camberley School, and most people in the surrounding businesses and homes can now return.
Powerco contractors said because the leak was near the hospital, it had alerted emergency services such as ambulance and the rescue helicopter.
The hospital did not have to close.
Powerco said a significant number of its industrial customers would be without gas while contractors worked to restore supply.