The government is to build 145 new social houses in greater Christchurch.
Social Housing Minister Amy Adams said the government was investing $46.3 million in the new homes, which will add to the 163 built over the last eight months.
Ms Adams said construction was under way on the next phase of building.
"The new homes will be a mixture of smaller, one-bedroom homes for single people and couples without children, and homes for larger families - exactly the kinds of social housing needed to meet the demand for social housing."
- 272-276 Worcester St, Christchurch Central: 30 one-bedroom apartments being built
- High and White St, Rangiora: 28 one-bedroom homes to be built
- 352 Barbadoes St, Central Christchurch: a three-level 18-unit complex
- 23-37 Eveleyn Couzins Pl, Richmond: 14 new homes will be built
- 1 Puna St, Riccarton: four units to replace one old house
Ms Adams said the Worcester Street site was the largest single development undertaken by Housing New Zealand in Christchurch in recent years.
"When completed next year, 30 new one-bedroom homes will significantly help to meet growing demand for one-bedroom places."