14 Sep 2017

Fireplace embers sparked Sumner Airbnb fire

11:01 am on 14 September 2017

A Christchurch house fire that left 10 Malaysian tourists in hospital was caused by fireplace embers, an investigator says.

Ten people were injured in a fire at a house in the Christchurch suburb of Sumner.

Ten people were injured in the fire at a house in the Christchurch suburb of Sumner. Photo: RNZ / Maja Burry

The home on Clifton Terrace in Sumner was being rented out on Airbnb when the blaze broke out on Sunday night.

The home was badly damaged and most of the victims' belongings were destroyed.

Fire investigator Mark Thomas said one of them made the mistake of trying to extinguish the fire by themselves.

"In this particular case the fire was beyond him putting it out, and he ended up being quite badly burnt and almost trapped in the house.

"Look, our suggestion is unless you're absolutely sure that you're going to be able to put a fire out with your own efforts that you should get out, get your family out."

Mr Thomas said that another person suffered serious smoke inhalation.

Get the new RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs