Militaria auction cancelled on police advice

5:15 pm on 13 October 2017

An auction of militaria including high powered firearms due to be held at a Wellington school this weekend has been cancelled on the advice of police.

no caption

The auction would have included high powered firearms (file picture). Photo: 123RF

Michael Dowling of the Council of Licensed Firearm Owners said the police recommended postponing the event after protests turned violent at the defence industry conference in the capital this week.

"The organiser has demonstrated they are being responsible, their concern was for the safety of the people attending the auction, but also for the protection of the property and protection of the school's property if someone wanted to get violent in protesting."

Mr Dowling said the privately-run auction, which included military-grade weapons as well as uniforms and models, had been held regularly at the school for the past 25 years.

On Tuesday, about 300 protesters blocked entrances to Westpac Stadium in Wellington, in a bid to stop delegates from attending the Defence, Industry and National Security Forum.

Nine people were arrested for blocking a road outside the forum.

Get the new RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs