10 Feb 2009

Nelson man suffers burns from gas explosion

5:43 pm on 10 February 2009

A Nelson man suffered serious burns after a gas explosion on Monday night that blew off the door of his garage.

Police believe gas from an LPG cooker, suspected of being used to make cannabis oil, ignited.

A 36-year-old man was caught in the resulting fireball and suffered burns to 30% of his body.

Police cordoned off the Mount Street property after initial concerns it was being used as a methamphetamine lab. However, no chemicals were found.

The man is in a stable condition in Nelson Hospital.