1 Jan 2011

Caravan death not caused by gas leak

6:17 am on 1 January 2011

Police in Tekapo say it now appears a gas leak did not cause the death of an elderly man in a caravan in South Canterbury.

The man and his partner had been staying near Lake Tekapo.

The Police Southern Communications Centre said earlier a gas leak may have been a factor in the death of the man, and his partner being left seriously ill.

However, police now say pre-existing medical conditions appear to have been involved, although they do not know details.