The Maritime Union says it has spoken to Ports of Auckland and is set to call off further strike action planned for the end of the month.
The port company told Radio New Zealand on Wednesday afternoon that it would allow all union members involved in the industrial dispute to attend a stop work meeting on 31 January.
The union is waiting for written confirmation before it officially calls off the 24-hour strike.
Maritime Union president Garry Parsloe says Ports of Auckland has the right under its collective clause to hold people back at work, but in this case it is important that all union members can attend the meeting.
Mr Parsloe says if there are going to be limitations imposed by the company, the strike notice will remain.
If the strike does go ahead, it would be the sixth time union members have walked off the job since the dispute began in November last year.