A retrial has opened in Nelson in the case of a man whose conviction for a shotgun murder was quashed by the Court of Appeal for reasons that are suppressed.
Blair Robert McNaughton, 26, is facing his second trial over the killing in November 2001 of Troy Minto.
Mr McNaughton has denied murdering Mr Minto, who was 22, during a fight between two groups of men at Branford Park in Nelson's Maitai Valley.
The Crown prosecutor told the High Court on Tuesday the fight had begun over a girl and had been arranged via text messaging.
The defence says Mr McNaughton shot Mr Minto in self defence.
The trial is expected to take three weeks.