4 May 2015

Man shot by police not alone at time

6:14 am on 4 May 2015

Police investigating the death of a Thames man who was shot by armed police have confirmed he was not alone at the time of the shooting.

A police cordon on Campbell Street.

A police cordon on Campbell Street. Photo: RNZ / Nicole Pryor

Vaughan William John Te Moananui, who was 33, was shot at a Campbell Street property on Saturday, after the police said he refused to surrender and pulled a firearm them.

Detective Inspector Chris Page of Waikato police said the post mortem was completed earlier today and a scene examination was continuing with the assistance of ESR.

Mr Page said there was another person in the house with Mr Te Moananui when he was shot and they were on the phone to the police.

"One of the things that we'll be looking at is what's happened here and what's taken place over the last few weeks to end up in this really difficult and tragic position."

Police admit they incorrectly told the public a man was in custody, when Mr Te Moananui had been fatally shot by the police.

Yesterday the police issued a media release saying a person of interest was in custody.

Detective Inspector Chris Page of Waikato Police concedes this was not correct saying they were fast-moving and volatile incidents.

"There was a mistaken belief in relation to the status of Mr Te Moananui, at no time was he in custody, unfortunately he was called upon to surrender, he presented a firearm and at that point he was shot."

CPR was performed at the scene but he was pronounced dead at Thames Hospital shortly afterwards.

Police want to hear from anyone who knows about Vaughan Te Moananui's movements yesterday.

Win, who lives next door to where the shooting took place, said she got a call from the police asking if she could see a man with a rifle, and was told to stay indoors. She said initially she thought the situation was a hoax and the area was normally very quiet and peaceful.

An investigation into the shooting has been launched and both the Coroner and the Independent Police Conduct Authority (IPCA) have also been notified.