26 May 2015

Man injured as boiler explodes at school

5:39 pm on 26 May 2015

An Auckland school has launched an investigation after its caretaker opened the hatch to a boiler that then exploded in his face.

The Fire Service was alerted to the incident at Greenmeadows Intermediate School in Manurewa just before 2pm.

It said the coal-fired boiler was operating normally at the time.

The school's principal Cathy Chalmers said the caretaker had received medical treatment, and they did not want to make any assumptions about what happened until an investigation had been carried out.