23 Jul 2015

Two saved from Auckland house fire

2:09 pm on 23 July 2015

Two people were saved from a house fire in the Auckland suburb of Otahuhu this morning.

The Fire Service said it got several calls just after 7.15am from commuters who could see the fire from the Southern Motorway.

The fire was at this Otahuhu house.

The fire was at this Otahuhu house. Photo: RNZ/Tiana Barns

The owner of the property, Chris Lawrence, said his family were not living in the property as they have been carrying out renovations.

He said floor sanders were working on the property when a gas explosion caused a fire in the house.

"We don't know exactly what happened but some sort of gas explosion has happened and caused just a massive run of fire through the house."

When firefighters arrived, the house was still on fire and two people were inside.

They were rescued and taken to Middlemore Hospital with serious injuries.