A 10-year-old boy injured in a schoolyard incident with an electric fence standard which left him with a serious head injury is "on the improve", police say.
Police have closed their investigation into [http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/regional/284589/invercargill-schoolboy-in-critical-condition how the Invercargill boy was left in a critical condition following the incident at Sacred Heart School on Friday.
Acting Detective Senior Sergeant Stu Harvey said they had established the boy and a nine-year-old student had been playing together before school when it happened, and they believed the other student had picked up the electric fence standard on the way to school that morning.
The boy had undergone brain surgery and his condition was improving.
"He's certainly on the improve and he is talking with his parents," Mr Harvey said.
"He certainly has a long rehabilitation ahead of him but it's a lot more positive than what it was when it was initially reported on Friday."