16 Feb 2016

Christchurch takes stock after latest jolt

7:47 pm on 16 February 2016

Safety inspections are continuing in Christchurch after Sunday's quake, with all walking tracks in the Port Hills and Christchurch City Council facilities now open.

The Earthquake Commission has received more than 1000 claims from the 5.7 magnitude jolt, which caused cliffs to collapse in Sumner and goods to fall off shelves in shops and homes.

Listen to Land Information New Zealand spokesperson Brenden Winder discuss the impact of Sunday's earthquake:

Geotechnical inspections have shown the areas where cliffs collapsed and rocks fell had been identified by GNS Science as high risk, and only red-zoned areas were affected.

A council spokesperson said shipping containers along Wakefield Avenue worked well and stopped rocks and debris from the cliff reaching the road.

The Cattlestock Crag rock climbing site in the Port Hills would remain closed until further inspections were completed.

Watch a helicopter loosening rocks on the cliff at Sumner:

Building and Housing Minister Nick Smith said the earthquake reinforced the decision to close Redcliffs Primary School, which was situated in front of a cliff.

The school was closed in June 2011 after an aftershock brought down some of the cliff face behind it.

Education Minister Hekia Parata announced last year she would not reopen the school due to the risk of rockfall, and the school's board has been fighting that decision.

New cracks had appeared in the cliff face as a result of the latest quake and boulders had been dislodged, Dr Smith said.

The tremor hit just eight days from the fifth anniversary of the 22 February 2011 earthquake.

View a gallery of images from Sunday's earthquake:

Get the new RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs