The driver of the truck which slammed into a Penrose overbridge last week, shutting down a major Auckland motorway, has been charged by police.
Part of the southern motorway was closed for hours last Monday after the vehicle, which was hauling a heavy digger, failed to stop as it approached the bridge, hitting the overpass and causing the digger to topple.
Police said they have charged a 65-year-old Taupo man with dangerous driving.
He is due to appear in the Auckland District Court in June.
Police said the charge carried a mandatory disqualification period from driving of six months, and it was also punishable by a term of imprisonment of up to three months and a fine of up to $4500.